Shared from the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo
A Mandatory Evacuation Order has been issued for all areas between Hardin Street to Waterways on east side of Highway 63, which is the side closer to the Clearwater River. Highway 63 remains open and this Mandatory Evacuation Order does not include the hospital at this time. A volunteer evacuation notice has been issued for all areas north west of Hardin Street to the Highway 63 bridges.
Evacuees impacted by this order are directed to report to the Casman Centre at 110 Eymundson to register as evacuees. Casman Centre has been identified as a secondary registration centre, to alleviate the volume at the Oil Sands Discovery Centre.
Please do not call 9-1-1 unless you require immediate assistance related to life-safety.
Evacuees must follow all signs, designated evacuation routes and instructions from emergency officials. Continue practicing physical distancing while evacuating and if immediate assistance is needed call 9-1-1.
All evacuees must report to the drive-thru Registration Centre located at the Oil Sands Discovery Centre, 515 Mackenize Boulevard, to check-in and receive further information on the support and accommodations available.
There are Municipal Transit busses available to transport evacuees that need assistance. Please let an emergency official on-site know if you need transportation.
Evacuees are advised to:
- Check-in at the drive-thru Registration Centre located at theCasman Centre in Thickwood,
- Continue practicing physical distancing while evacuating
- Not walk through moving water.
- Leave your vehicle if it stalls in rising waters, all occupants should get out immediately and go to higher ground.
- Follow all designated evacuation routes (E signs), barricades and other signs in place.
- Follow the instructions of emergency officials and first responders.
- Not remain in areas under evacuation notices or orders. Doing so puts you and your family at risk, as well as those who may have to rescue you.
- Have waterproof clothing and footwear for all family members.
- Secure your home by locking all doors and windows. Leave a note on your door to inform family members when you left and where you went.
- Not attempt search and rescue operations on your own. Call 9-1-1 for assistance.
- Notify emergency officials if you are aware of vulnerable residents who may need assistance evacuating
- Not return to your home or business while the Evacuation Order is in effect.
All residents are advised to avoid river banks and shorelines as they remain dangerous, and to avoid stopping on the Athabasca bridge to watch the river.
For alerts, updates and more information, visit rmwb.ca/riverbreakup.
For further questions, please call Pulse at 780-743-7000 or 1-800-973-9663.