Shared from the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo
A Mandatory Evacuation Order has been issued for the entire Taiga Nova Eco-Industrial Park. Please follow all signs, designated evacuation routes and instructions from emergency officials. All evacuees should report to the drive-thru Registration Centre located at the Oil Sands Discovery Centre, 515 Mackenize Boulevard, to check-in and receive further information on the support and accommodations available.
The Athabasca River is currently breaking and water levels are extremely high. Members of the public should stay away from riverbanks as flooding is occurring in certain areas. Residents in Waterways and the Lower Townsite of Fort McMurray should prepare a 72-hour Emergency Kit and stay alert.
Evacuees are reminded to continue to practice physical distancing and follow current public health recommendations while evacuating. The drive-thru Registration Centre has COVID-19 preventive measures in place and all procedures have been adjusted to align with current Public Health Orders and guidelines. Please make sure to check-in as this helps Regional Emergency Services identify community members that may be at risk.
Evacuees are advised to:
- Check-in at the drive-thru Registration Centre located at the Oil Sands Discovery Centre, 515 Mackenize Boulevard
- Continue practicing physical distancing while evacuating
- Not walk through moving water.
- Leave your vehicle if it stalls in rising waters, all occupants should get out immediately and go to higher ground.
- Follow all designated evacuation routes (E signs), barricades and other signs in place.
- Follow the instructions of emergency officials and first responders.
- Not remain in areas under evacuation notices or orders. Doing so puts you and your family at risk, as well as those who may have to rescue you.
- Have waterproof clothing and footwear for all family members.
- Secure your home by locking all doors and windows. Leave a note on your door to inform family members when you left and where you went.
- Not attempt search and rescue operations on your own. Call 9-1-1 for assistance.
- Notify emergency officials if you are aware of vulnerable residents who may need assistance evacuating
- Not return to your home or business while the Evacuation Order is in effect.
All residents are advised to avoid river banks and shorelines as they remain dangerous, and to avoid stopping on the Athabasca bridge to watch the river.
For alerts, updates and more information, visit rmwb.ca/riverbreakup.
If you need immediate assistance or in the event of an emergency while evacuating, call 9-1-1
For further questions, please call Pulse at 780-743-7000 or 1-800-973-9663.